You, Me and the Sea.

Monday Musing: Going Back to Work After Maternity Leave

By 1:13 AM


It has been two months since I went back to work and I now finally had the chance to start blogging again. Juggling my time between being a mom, my job and being a spouse is no easy task.


Working for the biggest on-line fashion company in the Philippines and going back during our busiest time of the year after my maternity leave was not a joke. Running in between meetings, trying to stay on top of everything, planning and managing. Till now, I still think I haven't gotten my A-game back but it gets better each day. Everyday is a learning process and striking a balance between work and life is a dilemma all working moms are facing. 

Here are the things that I learned during my transition. I hope this helps all struggling moms out there as they evolve to their new phase in life.

1. Do your research. The internet is the cradle of wisdom. You can find sensible tips, helpful forums and groups of working moms in the internet that can help you in your transition.

2. Stock-up. If you are a breast-feeding mom and you plan to exclusively breastfeed your baby, you should start stocking your supply a couple of weeks before you go back to work. I started stocking my milk three weeks before I went back. 

3. Ask for help. Deus was still 2 months old when I went back to work and I seriously didn't think I can entrust my baby to a stranger. Great thing that I have a very supportive mother who is very willing to care for Deus while I am away for work. Again, thanks Meemaw!

4. Create a schedule. Planning is the key. By creating a schedule and sticking to it can help you accomplish more. My day usually starts with expressing milk for Deus, preparing breakfast, taking a bath, and so on. Once you stick to your routine, you will eventually ease your way and accomplishing chores will come naturally without you even realizing it. 

5. Do a dry-run. 

6. Be good to your self. It is okay to take a breather once in a while. Remember, things get better each day. Do not stress your self out.  Always take care of yourself. 


Being a working mom is never easy but we can make it a little less overwhelming. After all, it is them that we are "slaving over" for. 

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. When I went back to work after my firstborn, I went back part time at first and then switched to part time. I was eventually able to leave my job and stay home full time, which is what I wanted to do. After the birth of my second, I did not have to get back to a job, which made me really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck I know how hard that is !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was not really easy going back to work after giving birth. Ako nga parang ayoko ng pumasok after eh hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back to work! That cutie pie melts my heart. I salute you for being a working mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Glad that you're back to work and to blogging :) As a mom we always need to play a lot of roles. You go girl! You're awesome and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute baby you have there! That why it's hard to go back to work. May your little adorable baby inspire you more in your work. Good to know you're breastfeeding. Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers to us working moms! I seriously had separation anxiety on my first day back. Called the house more than 5 times just to check on the little nugget haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute smile. Surely for working moms like you, you will go straight to your baby's room as soon as you're home. I was like that when I'm working e. Ihihi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really hard to go back to work after 2 months of leave but it is a sacrifice that all working mom need to do. I can relate with your situation. It's a good thing our mom is still capable of taking care of our child. It's so hard to trust strangers nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really hard to go back tapos tambak agad ng trabaho.. parang nakakagulat di ba? Although I am not a working mom, I still dread the day that I have to come back to all my online responsibilities..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you've got everything in order for you. def not easy, but you get used to your new norm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So amazed of people who can make this look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kaya mo yan :) Thanks for the tips! I'm now transitioning to working full time (after being a WAHM). Wishing both of us the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I definitely agree to your tips mommy. Especially the last one "Do not stress your self out" :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so hard going back to work after giving birth. My 2 months went by so fast and I ached when I was at work. I'm so glad I was able to transition to being a WAHM. For moms who need to work outside the home these are very helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww it will get better! Before you know it,you'll be easing into a comfortable routine again. By the way, love your agenda (if that's an agenda haha)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are back on track! Ang laki na ni Deus! :)

    Mhaan <3 | Mommy Rockin' In Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cutiepie! :) It's always hard to transition but we're moms, we're made for it. Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree a support system is really crucial for working moms.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome back to the exciting world of blogging, mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never had the chance to work once I gave birth to my eldest. Everything will be fine. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always had that separation anxiety when going back to work and I kinda failed on breastfeeding after ML with my daughter. Gladly, my son was able to breastfeed beyond his first year since I made it a priority to feed him after my shift. Good luck with returning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so hard to go back to work after maternity leave that's what made me decide to be a work at home mom.

    ReplyDelete